Sunday, October 15, 2006

I feel better today

I got some sleep last night and settled down a bit and I think I've recovered from my frustration from last night.

I don't have time right now to do a Top 5, but I wanted to share some reasons I feel better about the game now that I've got some emotional distance from it.

We put 31 (or 24) points on the top scoring defense in the conference. Well, they were until they played us, now they are tied for second. That's more points than we put on them the last 4 years combined. And it's triple what Texas has been allowing on average, and the most points they've allowed all year (or tied for the most if you like the 24 number better).

We "held" Texas to 4.4 yards per carry and 162 yards rushing. After giving up over 275 yards rushing to Colorado, this was a big accomplishment.

We didn't look completely overmatched in this game. There is a big talent disparity in this game, but you couldn't really see it. Our coaches put together a fantastic gameplan, and they've done a good enough job teaching technique that we were able to nullify the talent disadvantage for a large part.

Without the 21 points that were handed to Texas on turnovers, this is an 11-point game, which I think is an accurate representation of how the game was played.

If Baylor can continue to play at this level on offense and defense, there's no reason we can't win out. Really. I don't know if we can, and I wouldn't bet on it, the team has to show me, but aside from the Texas A&M game (I'll be out of the country), I'll be at every home game from here on out cheering my head off. Homecoming next week will tell us a lot about what to expect.

No comments: